In 2011 Atrisco Heritage Foundation partnered with Bernalillo County to develop and implement the Guide 2 Greatness Emotional Preparedness for College and Career curriculum into local High Schools and delivered to students 9 – 12 grade through daily workshops. This curriculum was tied to common core and is now being delivered in several schools in Bernalillo County during the school day in classes such as, advisory and AVID. The ultimate goal was to create a self-development program for high school students in order to increase the number of students who apply for college, stay in college, and graduate from college. The program taught students, with a diverse arrangement of life skills and academic skills, to overcome obstacles in adjusting to high school and college life. We started with 7 distinct workshops to assist the students.
Guide to Greatness (G2G) is a program to help you and your child prepare for college and life.
Nationally, approximately 7,000 students drop out of high school each day. With these high statistics, it cannot be denied that the quality of college preparation requires change. Student retention is an issue in New Mexico, and there have been numerous programs focusing on reading, writing, math and science to increase Standards Based Assessment scores. However, with all of these resources, significant concern still exists frou our community’s poor academic progress and low graduation rates. Locally, we are aware that some high schools graduate less than half of these enrolled; at the college level universities, such as UNM, share statistics that in early half of incoming freshman are lost by way of drop out by the end of their first year of college.
The Atrisco Heritage Foundation has discovered a unique combination of workshops for students to not only stay in high school and attend college, but graduate as well. These workshops are as follows and can now be delivered in a High School classroom, as each module has been tied to Common Core Standards.
Thanks to that success of the program and the support of Bernalillo County, G2G has morphed into something bigger and more dynamic. Atrisco has taken that concept and since 2013 has developed over 100 professional development modules in both English and Spanish. These modules are versatile enough to be delivered to all ages and what we believe are the most important Tools for Success (T4S). Please visit our Small Business training page for more info.
1. He is always SUPER good!
2. Great energy & thoughtful discussion, combined w/fun and humor
3. The games are great team builders
4. Each component of this series is pertinent
5. I enjoyed interacting with other staff
6. Great activities and examples
7. Very effective and great style of teaching
1. I liked the information that was given & discussed. The presenter did a wonderful job interacting & keeping us engaged.
2. I enjoyed the experience and learned outside perspective on how everyone can come together to develop better habits for time management.
3. The trainer was personable and energetic
4. I felt the trainer was engaged. He actually felt purpose in what he discussed
1. Very good workshop, very helpful
2. Very engaging & involves everyone in the training
3. Really like the trainers personality & how he makes it fun and interesting
4. Thought the training was perfect, just wish we had more time always.
1. Great Trainer. Always enjoy the workshops
2. Enjoy his senses of humor
3. Really Liked his feedback and knowledge of everything related to the subject